Monday, May 16, 2011

Yes I know how to read!

Today I was at a school working and overheard two boys talking and one of the boys was being not so nice and making fun of his buddy for not knowing what something said and the other boy yelled at him and said "yes I know how to read". For whatever reason this triggered all the memories for me of learning how to read that was made even more strange because it was the women who took the time to teach me how to reads birthday. To be completely honest with you i had forgot today was my Grandmothers Birthday until i was listing to these little boys talk.

One summer when my family made the trip back to the hills of West Va. my Grandmother being the teacher she was decided she would help my mom out and teach her dyslexic granddaughter how to read. She bought two books for me Double Decker bus and one about a little girl picking fruit. I only remember the bus book because it was the first book i ever read. By giving me the gift of reading my grandmother gave me a world i would have never known if not for her. I have solved crimes with Nancy drew, scared myself silly with R.L. Stine, talked to god with Margret, lived a life of privilege with Tori Spelling, had adventures with the 4 March girls in little women, been invited to the extravagant party's of Jay Gatsby, and most recently lived the life of a back woods bar maid with Sookie Stackhouse in Charlaine Harris series.


So thanks Grandma you changed my life and gave me adventure even if the books i read are not always intellectual i am always entertained and i believe that's what books are meant to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment